Sep 4, 2010

First Day Blues

Yeah, that's right, the first day was not all smiles and giggles for Scarlett at preschool. I thought it was going to go better than it did because she seemed so ready to go. We talked a lot about it, and I had her help me make her lunch so she wouldn't be so surprised when she had to eat there.



I reminded her a lot that she was going to get to go play with new friends and that I would be there to pick her up after rest time.



When we got there, we said our goodbyes outside the door of the classroom, and then she marched right into her little room without a tear or a protest. I was shocked! She always cries when I drop her off at church on Sundays so this was new behavior! I left feeling naked without her with me. It was so strange. I thought about her all day.

I got there 30 minutes early to pick her up. I waited in the car for a minute, but then I couldn't stand it so I went inside and piddled around the church until I gave up and went to her room about 15 minutes early. 

She had actually just woken up, and when she saw me, she burst into tears. I was mostly surprised to find out that she had slept on her nap mat! I never thought she would go to sleep, especially on the first day. That was the first time in her life she has fallen asleep without a paci!  (Now I'm motivated to take it at home too...)

Her teachers told me she had been very nervous all day, but that she didn't cry. She's potty trained, but she had two accidents and would not let them take her to the bathroom. They said she told them, "No, mommy takes me potty!"  In fact, they said she used that phrase all day. Like, "No mommy reads the books!" or "No, mommy gives me lunch!" and so on. She also only wanted to watch during art time, which was surprising because that's what she loves to do most! They said she enjoyed music time though. She ate hardly any of the lunch we packed so she was starving when we left. She said, "Let's eat lunch!" I tried to explain that she has to eat lunch there. 

They did say that she had a good day considering it was her first time to be away from me for that long with "strangers." And I'm also happy she didn't cry all day. I know that it can only get better. She will start getting used to it and will hopefully enjoy it more and more each time. I can't wait for the day when I arrive to pick her up and she doesn't want to leave. Only then will I feel completely okay with it, but I have faith that that day will come!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle - that made me sad! It will get better, I know as I have had to go through this since Noah was three months old. Good luck, and I'll be thinking of both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like Dawson's 2nd day at school. He walked right in without any tears and even opened the door himself but one of his teachers said he cried a few times during the day and missed his mommy. Hopefully they both start to really like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete