Jul 1, 2010

Toddler Bed Woes


We converted Scarlett's crib last weekend to a toddler bed, and I'm regretting it quite a bit! But there's no going back now. We probably could have waited longer because she never tried to get out of her crib; I just thought she would enjoy a big girl bed now that she's two. She also loves big beds so I thought it would be a fun transition for her. Um, not so much. 

She's doing great at nap time. I put her down, she doesn't make a peep, and she doesn't get out of bed. I've been bribing her some though, and she gets a Starburst when she wakes up if she doesn't cry and doesn't get out, but hey it works, and if it weren't for naptime I might have lost my mind by now.

But these last few nights have been full of drama. She likes the bed; she gets right in and snuggles up. But she wants us to stay in her room with her. She pats the floor by her bed and directs us to "Sit here!" and "Mommy, go get your pillow!" When I put her down and leave, she freaks out, gets out of bed, and pounds on the door in hysterics.

We've been giving in and have sat in her room until she falls asleep. One problem with this is that sometimes we're in there for 20 minutes and sometimes it takes over an hour. My hope is that after a week or so, she'll get used to the bed, and we won't have to sit with her anymore, but this could also become a big problem.

We have one of those saftey knobs on the inside of her door so she can't get out. I'm thinking we may have to try putting a gate up and leave her door open instead; maybe then she won't feel so alone. But we've always shut her door when she sleeps, and it doesn't bother her at naptime so I'm not sure what the deal is. I don't think I'll feel so bad making her cry it out if she's crying at a gate instead of a closed door though. We're also still letting her have her paci when she sleeps so it's not that. 


Right before bedtime at night she's all smiles. She takes her bath, and then we read. She likes to get a chair for herself and then one for T Boone, her zebra.


What makes me crazy is the DRASTIC difference between naptime and nighttime. Because of how well she does for her nap, I know she can do the same at night, but she just will not give in.

I am thankful that I had an easy time with potty training. Dealing with both of those right now would just be too much! Thank you Lord for the free potty training pass! Much appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    Does Scarlett sleep w/ a night light? Is her room a lot darker at night then naptime? I mean I know it is in general, but can she see at all at night? I wonder if one of those cool lights that shoot stars on the ceiling would help her. I'm sorry she's scared and I hope this passes soon.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link for what I was talking about.

    http://www.wrapables.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=A61247

    I'm sure you can find these cheaper, but wanted to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I would kill for an easy time with potty training right now. We did, however, have a totally easy transition to big girl bed- but we did it at 2 1/2, so that might have made a difference! Here's hoping you get some sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had 2-3 nights of screaming, crying, and kicking the door for at least an hour and that was it! It was one of the hardest things I've done to let him cry it out but it worked! Now granted, he did spend 2+ months falling asleep on the floor by his door without crying but he eventually realized his bed is much more comfortable and sleeps there without any problems. I think I'm going to send Dawson to your house for a week for potty training boot camp! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any advice for getting Scarlett to sleep in her big girl bed . . . I'll be asking you for advice here in a few years! BUT, I had to comment on the fact that Scarlett's zebra is named T Boone! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing great. It feels awful to leave them locked in their room, doesn't it? But I have heard that it is better to keep their door shut no matter what - for fires or something like that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete