Jul 3, 2010

Progress

The toddler bed saga continues…

The night after I posted our toddler bed issues, I knew something had to change, but I still wasn't sure what to do. After her bath and after we read, I turned off the lights as usual, and as usual, she started getting all worked up. Then she said, “It’s too dark!”  I knew then it was going to be another long night if I didn't try something new.  So I said, “Ok, I’ll leave the bathroom light on, and I won’t shut your door, but you cannot get out of bed, ok?” She said, “OK,” but I doubted it would work. I tucked her in, and walked out. Cringing, I waited for the wailing to begin, but lo and behold, nothing! She didn’t cry! She didn’t call out for me! She didn’t get out of bed! Not one time! I didn’t hear a peep!  
Now, mind you, I’ve been trapped in her room with her every night for almost a week (and yes, I realize I’m choosing to do that, but still…) so I was ecstatic. I got so much done! I happily worked on laundry, loaded the dishwasher, and straightened the house. I watched Bethenny Getting Married in real time! Man, was I happy. My prayers had been answered! The stand-off was over!
Around 11:30, I checked on her, found her to be sleeping soundly, shut her door, and turned off the bathroom light.
I fell into bed as all mothers with babies and toddlers and 16 year olds must do, and feel right to sleep.
The next thing I knew, I was jolted awake from a ruckus blaring over the monitor. She was screaming, crying, and her little fists were just pounding away on her door. I looked over at the clock. 12:30. Lovely.
I was too exhausted to help her fall back to sleep so we slept on the guest bed together. 
The next morning I realized maybe it’s the door being closed that’s bothering her. 
So last night, I left the door open again along with bathroom light and she was happy with that. She went right to sleep with no drama and no getting out of bed again.  A MIRACLE I tell you!  
Then I left and went to the movies with my mom, sister and DAD (yes we dragged him to Eclipse!!) Chris stayed home with Scarlett and reported that she never got out of bed or cried.  At midnight when we got home, we shut her door so we wouldn’t wake her since my parents are staying with us for the weekend.
And no kidding, not 20 minutes after shutting the door, she woke up and started banging on it.  I opened her door, and she walked right back over to her bed, got back in, and went back to sleep. It’s the craziest thing!  So we left her door open all night, and she was fine. 
The only problem is that she woke up at 6 am and came into my room wide awake and ready for the day.  At least we’re making HUGE progress.  I am a much happier mommy after a really good two nights! Thank you to all the supportive comments and advice!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! At first glance, I read, "Preggers" not "Progress"... :) But still happy that things are working for her. I don't blame her!! I still won't let shane shut the door :) I like my hall light on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are making progress! It's hard figuring all of the little things out that cause them to not sleep!

    ReplyDelete