Aug 11, 2008

Bumper Pad Thoughts

When I was pregnant and began designing Scarlett’s nursery, I registered for a bumper pad to go around the crib. I had heard by word of mouth that they can be dangerous, but it seemed everyone I know used one; even celebrity nurseries I saw in magazines had them. Plus, they are very common; every bedding kit comes with them, and the
bumper that matched Scarlett’s nursery décor made the room. It was gorgeous! The satin ribbons on it were my favorite.

Crib With Bumper


However, when Scarlett started scooting and moving around in her crib recently, I did become more and more concerned. Her bumper pad is especially large with a lot of padding, and it only has ties at the top. So I decided to take it off for awhile until she gets older. Her room is barer now, but seriously, does that even compare to the risk? I also feel bad because it was very expensive, and my mother-in-law bought it. I'm sure she understands though!!

Crib Without

Still thinking about the bumper controversy, I did some research about infant deaths caused by bumper pads, and was very troubled by what I found. One particular article, “Deaths and Injuries Attributed to Infant Crib Bumper Pads” discusses an in depth study done on the issue. According to this article, over a period of about four years, 27 bumper related deaths were reported on death certificates. The article also gives pictures to reenact how some of the deaths occurred which are really hard to look at. The ages of babies that died due to the bumpers ranged from 6 days old to 14 months old. Most suffocated in some manner, and one strangled by the bumper pad ties.

The article mentions that bumpers are intended to prevent injury, and lists injuries caused by cribs with no bumpers. However, no deaths were reported in these cases, only minor injuries, such as sprained limbs or minor bruising. The CPSC also lists more precautions about bumpers and actually reported more deaths caused by bumper pads. They do mention what type and size of bumper to use if you absolutely must.

I became very upset after reading the article and other info online that I felt the need to post this. It clearly seems the dangers of bumper pads outweigh the benefits. Just something to get everyone thinking…..

4 comments:

  1. Call me, just had this concern as well. They came out a few days ago!
    love,
    aub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff and I have had a lot of talks about this! We actually changed his bumpers that came w/his crib bedding with some different filling so it would fit flesh up against the railings. I was happy with the ties but not the filling. He just started sleeping his his crib last week and the bumpers will be coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great Michelle! The statistics are heart breaking. I am not going to lie, we didn't take Brayden's bumbers out. He co-sleeps some too. Regardless, they are coming out now! I had heard about this before, but am sad and feel guilty for not researching it. THANK YOU for the post. Hope all is well. :-) YOmaida

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.... my nursery looks empty without it- but I didn't buy a bumper either

    ReplyDelete