Jul 1, 2008

I'm a Stay at Home Mom! Well sort of.....

I've always planned to stay home with my children. I know that's not everyone's plan, but it has always been mine. When I was pregnant with Scarlett, I started to panic a little. Chris is a teacher, and he loves his job, but let's face it, teachers don't get paid nearly enough! So I started brainstorming what I could do in order to be at home with her during the day and still make ends meet.

I thought about watching other teachers' children in my home, but the legalities of that seemed a little daunting. Then I tried to find things that would allow me to work from home but never came across anything promising. I even considered selling something like Arbonne, but I'm just not a salesman. Then I thought about using my MLS degree and working part time at a public library. My plan was to work nights and weekends so that I would be home with her during the day, and Chris would take over in the evenings when I went to work. I went ahead and resigned from my full time position as a school librarian at the end of this school year hoping that something would come up.

God was listening to our prayers because about a month ago a part time librarian position became available at a nearby public library, and I applied for it. Well, I got the job!! It is great for us because I will be working part time nights and every other weekend which is what I was hoping for. Now our sweet baby gets to stay at home and will either be with me or Chris (or Auntie Mandy occasionally). We are so blessed that this worked out. Yesterday was my first day. Even though I'll only be away for four hours on most evenings (5-9), it was a little difficult for me emotionally. But she's with her daddy so I really can't ask for a better situation. Here's a pic of my sweet Scarlett and me as I'm about to leave for work!

4 comments:

  1. Michelle...she is such a beauty. I got your link from Mandy's blog. So glad Scarlett is well and you guys are doing good. Ashley (Stejskal) West

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new job!!! Scarlett is so cute and I hope to meet her soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just dropped Alli off at my parents house yesterday and was thinking about dropping by the library and harassing you. I think I'll wait until you're a bit further along in your job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    Congrats on your new job! I'm so glad you were able to work it all out. It's so much fun to be able to be home and watch her grow and the cute things they do! Enjoy every moment....the time goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete